Clinical Assistant Professor
Djavad Mowafaghian Centre for Brain Health, Full Member
Active Staff, Vancouver General Hospital
8124-2775 Laurel Street
Vancouver, BC V5Z 1M9
Dr. Lang completed an undergraduate degree in Neuroscience and Cognitive Neuropsychology at the University of Guelph. He then attended medical school at the University of Ottawa, followed by his neurosurgical residency at the University of Calgary. During his residency, he joined the Clinical Investigator Program and completed a PhD with a specialization in Neuroscience and Medical Imaging. He has won multiple national and international awards for his research and has published over 30 peer-reviewed papers. On completion of his Neurosurgical residency, he obtained specialized training in Stereotactic and Functional Neurosurgery at the University of Toronto under the supervision of Dr. Andres Lozano, Dr. Suneil Kalia, and Dr. Mojgan Hodaie. He was then recruited to the University of British Columbia as an academic Functional Neurosurgeon. He will work closely with the existing functional neurosurgery team and the deep brain stimulation clinic.
- Deep brain stimulation for movement disorders (Parkinson’s disease, essential tremor, dystonia), epilepsy, and other emerging indications.
- High Intensity Focused Ultrasound (HIFU). Not yet available in British Columbia, this is an incisionless treatment option for some patients who may be eligible for DBS.
- Treatment of trigeminal neuralgia including microvascular decompression, percutaneous rhizotomy, and other neuromodulatory interventions
- Treatment of Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus
- Treatment of low-grade glioma including intra-operative brain mapping
- Advanced MRI imaging to characterize brain networks in a variety of neurosurgical patient groups
- Non-motor symptoms of Parkinson’s disease (cognitive decline/mood issues)
- Non-invasive and invasive brain stimulation
LINK to research publications