Director, Undergraduate Education in Neurosurgery
Active Staff, Vancouver General Hospital
8123-2775 Laurel Street
Vancouver, V5Z 1M9
Dr. Serge Makarenko, Clinical Instructor in the Division of Neurosurgery, was born in Lviv, Ukraine. He moved to Vancouver in 1998 with his family and obtained a degree in Honours Physiology and medical degree from UBC. Following his medical training, Dr. Makarenko did neurosurgery residency in Vancouver, becoming a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Canada in 2019. He then spent a year as a Clinical Fellow in Skull Base Neurosurgery under the guidance of Dr. William Couldwell in Salt Lake City, Utah. After this, he has returned to Vancouver to join the faculty as a practicing neurosurgeon, specializing in skull base tumors and neuro-oncology.
- Skull base tumours: vestibular schwannomas, meningiomas, pituitary tumours
- Neuro-oncology: low-/high-grade gliomas, metastatic brain tumours
- Management of giant pituitary adenomas
- Surgical outcomes in resection of vestibular schwannomas
- Quality of Life of patients with brain tumours
Perform a PubMed Search of Dr. Makarenko’s publications.