Educational Objectives (PGY 1-2)
- Assess patients with pituitary tumours or parasellar pathology for evidence of hypopituitarism or hyperfunction (Acromegaly, Cushing’s disease and Prolactin excess)
- Manage diabetes insipidus and Syndrome of Inappropriate Antidiuretic Hormone (SIADH)
- Manage Addisonian crisis
- Recognize the effects of corticosteroid therapy on diabetes mellitus in neurosurgical patients and be able to adjust diabetes management accordingly
- Establish therapeutic relationships with patients and their families in the clinic, emergency room and on the inpatient units.
- Communicate effectively with patients and families in order to obtain through, focused histories during patient care encounters
- Present consultations including detailed history, physical exam and findings of investigations to senior residents and attending staff.
- Document consultations including history, physical examination, findings of investigations and outline of the management plan (both written and dictated as appropriate).
- Update patients and family relevant information regarding their condition and management plan with appropriate supervision
- Work/collaborate effectively as a member of the interdisciplinary care team, fostering a positive team environment
- Consult other medical and surgical specialities appropriately in the care of the patients
- Demonstrate a safe and accurate written and/or verbal handover of patient issues to colleagues
- Listen and respond appropriately to concerns of other health care providers
- Manage own time, education and personal life to ensure balanced lifestyle
- Recognize and respond to determinants of health in patients with endocrinological diagnoses including socio-economic status
- Actively participate in weekly rounds/educational activities
- Identify and seek out personal learning needs related to cases encountered on the endocrinology service
- Facilitate patient, student and peer learning
- Foster collegial relationships with staff and residents, nurses and other allied health professionals
- Exhibit appropriate professional behaviors in practice, including honesty, integrity, commitment, compassion, timeliness, respect and altruism
- Show appropriate respect for opinions of other health care providers
- Be able to appraise and identify own limits with respect to knowledge and patient care, and when to ask for assistance and consult effectively.